Monday, June 28, 2021

We need to Give God the Credit


Her name was Stacey. We went to High School together.  Stacey ran in different circles from me, but we did have the same English class.  I remember it was early Spring because she was prepping for a big basketball game to determine if the girls team would compete at State.  It was test day in our Junior English class. This was back when you took a test, passed it to a person behind you and then the teacher went over the answers while we graded each other's tests. I was toward the front of our row and as the tests got passed forward I was looking for my test to see my score.  I couldn't find my test; none of them had my name written in the top right corner!  There was one test with no name, but it wasn't my handwriting.  Then I saw it.  My test.  With Stacey's name in the top right corner. I was flabbergasted that someone would steal credit for what I had done and I was motivated to grab the credit back.


On that day in High School I was focused on what I believed was rightfully mine.  I was consumed with MY test, MY grade, MY reputation.  I didn't care what happened to Stacey.  In fact, I was hoping they threw the book at her, even if it meant she couldn't play in that all important basketball game. 


Sometimes our focus gets skewed. We focus on what we think and we don't make the best choices.  David learned some of those lessons the hard way (read 1 Chronicles 13). When He sets out to bring the Ark of the Covenant home to Jerusalem in I Chronicles 15 and 16, his focus wasn't skewed. He was intent on honoring God in God's way.  


DAVID'S PSALM OF THANKSGIVING

In First Chronicles 16:8-36 David honors God and expresses his gratitude. Verse 7, in fact, says that David "decreed for the first time that thanks be given to the Lord." David was firm on giving God the credit that He deserved in his Psalm of Thanksgiving. He saw all of who God is, so honor, praise and remembrance are woven through the entire Psalm.

  • "proclaim his deeds among the people" (v8)
  • "tell about His wondrous works" (v9)
  • "Honor His holy name" (v10)
  • "Remember his covenant forever --the promise he ordained for a thousand generations" (v15)
  • "he allowed no one to oppress them; he rebuked kings on their behalf" (v21)
  • "Declare his glory among the nations, his wondrous works among all peoples." (v24)
  • "the Lord made the heavens" (v26)
  • "ascribe to the Lord glory and strength" (v28)
  • "Ascribe to the Lord the glory of His name…" (v29)
  • "Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His faithful love endures forever." (v34)



GIVING GOD CREDIT HELPS US KEEP OUR FOCUS

I admit I was a Christian when I was in High School; I knew about turning the other check and not judging others.  Pleasing Jesus was at the top of my list of things to do, but I wasn't intentional, or determined or fixated on that goal.  I needed help zeroing in on the right target, especially when it came to my encounter with Stacey.  Can you relate? Learning to give God the credit He deserves enables us to pinpoint the bullseye. It strengthens our ability to focus on God and it enriches our spititual walk.


  1. Giving God credit stops us from being focused inward; it enables us to learn humility. It's so easy for us to claim credit for something without even realizing it.  Maybe we are good at a certain task, or we have an ability that others admire.  Just like I saw the score on the test as mine, we see our gifts and abilities as ours, as something we do.  Second Corinthians 3:5 says, "It is not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God." (CSB) All our talents and potential are gifts from God, either through how He created us and/or how He enables us in a specific moment.  For us to claim credit is to steal the credit from the One who is most deserving.
  2. Giving God credit enables us to release control. When we realize that it's not our name on the line, we can relax.  We don't have to prove anything or be better than anyone else.  God is the one who is in complete control and the results are all in His hands.  In Daniel 2, King Nebuchadnezzar has had a dream he wants interpreted.  He thinks the wise men and magicians should be able to tell him what the dream is before interpreting it. In verses 28 and 30, Daniel says, "But there is a God in heaven who reveals mysteries and he has let King Nebuchadnezzar know what will happen in the last days. . . As for me, this mystery has been revealed to me, not because I have more wisdom than anyone living, but in order that the interpretation might be made known to the king and that you may understand the thoughts of your mind."  Daniel knew that it was only God who knew the mystery and He gave answers to Daniel because He chose to do so.  God was the one in control.  God was in charge of how everything would play out and Daniel knew he could trust God with his life.
  3. Giving God credit enables us to see and be captivated by who God is. This is so evident in David's Psalm of Thanksgiving.  David was consumed with the glory and wonder of God.  First of all, David knew all the various ways God had moved on his own behalf, such as how God helped him kill Goliath, anointed him as king, and rescued him from Saul over and over. Second, David describes how God moved on behalf of the entire nation of Israel throughout his Psalm. David was enthralled with God Himself.

Giving God the credit moves us to a position where we are focused on Him. He is the One who provides, protects and saves. He is the one who pours out faithful love. He is the One who is good. And He has come to live in our midst. 


I pray that You can see Him in all His glory and majesty and splendor. 

Worship, praise and offer thanks. 

Give Him the credit He deserves.

Hallelujah!



                                                                                
Photo by Yustinus Tjiuwanda on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment