Monday, June 14, 2021

Dealing with "Nothing Good Syndrome"

photo by Anh Nguyen on Unsplash

Do you ever talk in extremes?  “Today was the worst day ever!” “I can’t do anything right!” I’m a total failure!” “I always mess up.” “Nobody cares.” “I’ll never be able to (blank).” “Nothing good ever happens to me!” 

We all have those moments when life is overwhelming.  In those moments, I often fall into a pattern of evaluating my circumstance through an emotional point of view.  I lose perspective, rational thought and hope.  I give fear and shame permission to set up camp.  There’s a part of my brain fighting for logical thinking, and I believe the lies Satan whispers in my ear.  I succumb to “Nothing Good Syndrome.”


Elijah and his “Nothing Good Syndrome”

Domenico Fetti, Elijah Calls Down Fire From Heaven, 1622
There’s a prophet in the Old Testament who gives great pointers for those of us with “Nothing Good Syndrome.”  His name is Elijah.  Elijah was a prophet with power.  Elijah took on the prophets of Baal, challenging them to a fire duel.  The prophets of Baal and Elijah each built an altar with a sacrifice and prayed to their god. The first god to light their alter on fire would be declared the true God. Elijah poured water all over his alter and God Almighty still lit the bar-b-que!  The Israelites chased down the prophets of Baal and Elijah slaughtered them.  Elijah knew God and he was well acquainted with all God can do. 

And… Elijah responded just like us when he was cornered by circumstances; he showed all the signs of “Nothing Good Syndrome.”

After the big night when God sent fire from heaven, Jezebel, the Queen, threatened Elijah’s life.  I would think after such a huge win, Elijah would’ve been saying something like, “whatever.”  But Elijah freaked out and ran away in fear.   First Kings 19: 4 tells us what Elijah said to God, “I have had enough! Lord, take my life, for I’m no better than my fathers.”  Can’t you hear him muttering to himself? “I’m a total failure.  Nobody cares about me.  NOTHING good ever happens to me!”

I love the fact that God stepped in and took care of Elijah, sick with “Nothing Good Syndrome.”  First God let him sleep off his frustration, anger, and fear.  Then He sent an angel with food to feed Elijah.  Elijah was so exhausted, he ate and promptly took a nap. The angel woke Elijah and encouraged him to have a snack before going on a journey. Elijah traveled 40 days and nights to reach the mountain of God.  Once there, Elijah bluntly expressed to God exactly how he perceived things.  In verse 11 of 1 Kings 19 God told Elijah, “Go out and stand on the mountain in the Lord’s presence.” Elijah obeyed; he remained on the mountain waiting for God’s presence to be revealed.  Elijah finally heard God whisper to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?” 

What are you doing here?

I think that’s the question God asks us when we begin showcasing symptoms of “Nothing Good Syndrome.” The story of Elijah provides us with 5 steps to move us toward healthy living.

  1.       Step away from the noise that overwhelms; rest and refuel your physical body.  I know we can’t run away from most circumstances like Elijah did, but we can step away from making a decision or position ourselves to experience less stress.  We all learned in kindergarten what a benefit naps and snack time are; carve out moments to stop and rejuvenate.
  2.       Seek God; go where you know you’ll find Him.  Elijah went to the mountain of God.  I sit in the chair where I have my morning quiet time, or out on my deck when the weather is warm.  Where do you find God on a regular basis? Go there; read His Word and pray.
  3.       Be open and honest.  Elijah didn’t hold back; you don’t need to either.  God isn’t going to be surprised by anything you tell Him.   He can handle all your hurt, pain, disappointment, and fear. 
  4.       Wait in God’s presence until you’ve heard His voice.  If you can literally wait, do that.  That’s not always possible, and you can still be waiting on God as you do the daily tasks that demand your attention.  Keep listening for his wisdom.  Keep speaking to Him of your need.  Elijah went on a 40 day and night journey of discovery.  God doesn’t always answer as quickly as we might like.  And just as He saw Elijah and provided for his physical needs through an angel, God sees you and will provide what you need as you wait.  
  5.      Follow through in obedience.  God told Elijah to go back.  Sometimes He tells us the same thing, and we must live through facing our fears.  God also reassured Elijah that he wasn’t alone, there were 7000 others who had never bowed to Baal (1 Kings 19:18). God will provide the encouragement we need to be obedient. 

 

We may not be taking on a herd of prophets or challenging someone to a fire duel, but we fight battles just like Elijah.  And we have access to the same powerful God.  We need to keep our focus on who He is when we are threatened with “Nothing Good Syndrome.”  God knows the war we are in, and He is ALWAYS good. 

 

 

Photo by Anh Nguyen on Unsplash

 

No comments:

Post a Comment